Working with a virtual assistant (VA) is as easy as sending an email. The hard part is choosing the best VA to fit your needs.
Virtual assistants offer so many services for small business owners and independent contractors that the thought of collaborating with one might seem to be just another daunting task.
Make the right choice the first time.
Here are a few tips on what to look for and how to select the VA of your dreams.
- Decide what services you need. A logo design? Website upgrade? Social media strategies? Make a list of everything in your office that you don’t have a handle on. Review our services here.
- Do a Google search. Look for “virtual assistant” + the type of specialty you need, like “bookkeeping.”
- Select four or five websites to review. Don’t forget to read the About page and a few blog posts to get a feel for the VA’s style and personality.
- Contact the two or three most promising with your wish list of tasks and services, and set up online meetings.
- Interview these prospects as you would any employee. Have a list of questions, and take notes. Be prepared to describe the services you need and any software or documents that may be required.
- Take the time to review your notes, and check in with your feelings about each candidate. Who seems the most knowledgeable about your concerns and offers the most reasonable solutions for you?
- Start small. Once you’ve decided on the virtual assistant who seems the best fit, assign a few tasks to get the feel of working together. You can always add larger projects as needed.
Maintain regular communication and your virtual assistant can become a vital part of your team!
Have you ever worked with a virtual assistant? Let us know in the Comments!